Form & Funktion

Form and Funkton is yet another design editorial, a bloggology, the rantings of a designer on design as it relates to trends, usability, society, and inner space.

Thursday, July 20, 2006



Knock-Offs or the Real Thing?

I have a friend. Let's call him, "Gene." Gene is a brand snob. He has to buy the real thing, from real designers, dead or alive. I've been eyeing these knock-offs at Sleek Spaces and the price is a lot better than the real thing. Love the pony leather in the Le Corbusier Basculant Arm Chair and how it picks up the brown wood in the Eames Lounge Chair. Of course, I need a coffee table, so I opted for the Eames black stained plywood table instead of the normal blond wood. Even if I purchased all three knock-offs, the total is still cheaper than one very real Eames Lounge Chair, at a whopping $3995 at DWR. Sleek Spaces also carries many other stainless steel accessories (Gene is a sucker for stainless steel) and they have a customer support phone number, where you talk to a real person instead of sending your questions and grievances to a database. I'll be thinking about this for awhile more, as we are painting the exterior of our house and the home improvement budget is already out of control.

2 Comments:

At 12:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd first like to address the snob comment... Gene's no snob. He (if he is a he) could be afflicted with the "perceived value" gene (if it cost's less, is it really as good?). For some things (back to the 1st person) I would rather own the real thing, rather than a knock-off. Other items, not having the real thing is just fine. Oh sure, our paper plates look like "Chinet", but on closer inspection, they are stamped "Chinot"... all for half the price. If I could, all of my furniture would be the real thing, so I could say, "How do you like my $4000 Eames chair? Don't sit in it!".

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger Ha said...

Gene, can't wait til you furnish your new place. Then I'll come over and sit on all the furniture, put my feet up and get comfy -- $4000 or not.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home